When we first relocated to the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina, the first thing we picked up as a resource to use was a Discovery Map. Who knew just several years later we would own not only our local Asheville map, but several other franchise cities as well! Discovery Map affords us the opportunity to employ our son while he is a full time college student, work flexible hours avoiding the hassles of a retail environment, and meet great business owners in the communities that we service. Every time we see someone walking around town carrying one of our maps, it reinforces the fact that the maps work and are here to stay, and that we made a great decision to be part of the Discovery Map family.
—Lars & Darlene Wiren
Discovery Map Franchisee
Asheville, Hendersonville, NC;
Savannah, GA & Greenville, SC maps
When you buy a Discovery Map Franchise, you are buying a lifestyle business that can be flexible with your goals. A single map territory is essentially a part time opportunity as you’re only actively working on the business about 4 months out of the year, with the rest of your time spent building relationships with your advertisers and maintaining a strong distribution of the map.
- The Initial Franchise Fee of $25,000, due at the time of signing awards you a license to operate a franchised business for 10 years, with two 5 year options to renew. You have access to our Discovery Map brand, trade-dress, sales training, sales collateral and ongoing support.
- Your total initial investment including the Initial Franchise Fee and other start up costs typically varies from $35,950 to $45,950.
- Some of the largest annually recurring expenses, separate from the initial investment include:
- Print costs
- 10% Royalty on gross sales
- Sales costs (such as your time, travel and fuel)
- Map and ad production costs
- Discovery Map Publication fee
Why Invest in the Franchise?
- 40 years in the illustrated tourist map industry, with access to print vendors, ad designers and illustrators
- Recognized brand with 130 maps in publication across the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- Print buying power of nearly 20 million copies per year, system wide
- A purpose built content management system that streamlines map production and digital publication
- A fun, friendly and proven business model in which you can participate with one or more maps
Ready to find out more?
Current Map Franchises
EXPLORE maps already in our system. If you don’t see YOUR community listed, then we would love to chat with you about joining the Discovery Map family!